11 March 2012

Oh great, I'm actually an adult...

I have been doing this whole "adult" thing for over 18 months now. It is fine. Nothing exciting. And that is the problem.

Due to a number of frustrations at my current job, I started the process of looking for a new job. It is scary world out there, especially when you don't really know what you want to do. Systems Administration? Network Engineering? Network Architecture? Wireless? Professional bike race planning?

This is the problem. Currently, my feeling is that there is just to much out there that I enjoy doing. It is hard to really grasp what 

I have spent many years in my college days as a systems administration. Some of the best times while I went to Drexel. It was something that I was good at. Something that I enjoyed. Something that I actually considered doing for the rest of my professional life.

Then I graduated, and started doing networking, specifically wireless networking. It has been a pretty awesome experience. Learned a lot of new stuff. Expanding the knowledge base that I already had, which I always enjoy. Something worth exploring more.

But there is a question that has been asked of me recently, the question of 3 and 5 year plans had be posed to me by the early arrivers club the other night. And thanks to them, I really started to think. The last think that I need to be doing this week with the giant bike race coming up. The up in the air state of my life, the next blog entry, I guess.

So, thinking leads to writing, and writing leads to blogging. So here are my actual thoughts:

I don't have a 3, 5 or 7 year plan. I honesty have no desire to really be any where in the next 3, 5, or 7 years. Ten years, probably.

There isn't a place that I want to be. There really isn't a place that I want to work really badly.

Some might say, "But he doesn't have any goals. He doesn't have any desires to go any where with his life!"

And I say "But I do have desires, just none that take me places!!"

At this point in my life, I have only been out of college for a little under two year. Really, I just want to accumulate knowledge and skills. It is fun. It is exciting. I like it. I like trying new things, venturing out in to the unknown, and seeing what it is like.

Now writing this, and pondering options that are currently in front of me. There are two job that are currently positioned in front of me. One is systems job. One is a networking job. Both seem like pretty awesome jobs.

The networking job would be one that would potentially expand on what I'm doing now. Present opportunity for expanding my networking skill set, and taking it to another level.

The systems job would be going back to what I did in college. Nothing wrong with that. It would be a change of pace, something different from what I'm working on at the current moment. Something that I haven't work in a while.

(A tip of my hat to you for reading this far...)

There is a lot to consider. A lot to think about. A lot to talk with other people about. But it really comes down the the scary question:

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment