27 May 2009

The After Life

While I'm still a year away from graduating from this prison that they call Drexel, thoughts of the after college life have already started to run through my head. One of the problems that I have always had was the fact I just never knew what I wanted to do with my self. As a kindergartner would say "I have no idea what I want be when I grow up."

There are many different things that I enjoy doing. Many different things that I have tried. But none of them have sparked my interest to become hyper focus on. Something that I wouldn't mind spending my college career studying, with the potential for going for a masters or even a PhD in.

In attempting to try different things, there was a bit of hope that I would find something that peak my interest, something that draw me in to far that I would presume it as a profession or an area that I concentrate in. But alas, nothing has stand out. Some people don't seem to find this uneasy, but I do. I would even feel better if I had a general idea of what I wanted to do, but I don't.

There have been many different thing that I have concerned doing after college. Now before I start going through these things, and my thoughts on people knowing what they want to do, I need to give you my life plan. It is very simple. First stage, work somewhere exciting. Second stage, teach something exciting. Third stage, buy an RV and travel the nation building Habitat houses.

Now here are some options that I have presented to my self:
  • Farmer: Yes, a farmer with cows, and land, and large pieces of farm equipment. My family has a fairly large piece of land with no one to take care of in the future. I'm kind of partial to keeping in the family which requires someone to take care of it. Now, I have no idea how to be a farmer, and there is a lot of things that I would have to learn, beyond my current skill set. The plus side to moving and becoming a farmer is that there is a lot of areas to go biking. Yeah Biking!
  • System Administrator: This is an area that I have a lot of experience in, and continue to do part time. System Administrator proves with a different set of problems and activities from day to day. This is some thing that I like. I really don't like to sit and do the same thing all day every day and doesn't mix well with the ADD. The other thing is that it is something that I understand.
  • Developer: Now this is something that people would consider to be the track that I should be taking. There are some problems with this. The first one is that I don't always enjoy programming. Yeah, I said it. I don't always enjoy programming. It is hard to believe. There have been a number of different projects that I have worked on that have proved me with great interest, but in the overall scheme of things there is something that I'm missing or just not understanding. Hopefully entering my senior year will help me to gave a love to just write random code.
  • Teacher: Teaching is something that I have always enjoyed. It has always provided me with joy helping people to understand something. I have taught many different things over the years, mainly in the areas of programming, system administration and leadership skills. There are a lot of other things that I have taught but not in a large scale. I could see my self teaching subjects in introductory programming, system administration, or possibly high school math (, possibly).
These are just a few of the things that I have considered. There are so many other possibilities that could be listed: professional bicyclist, laptop repair man, project manager, dry erase marker tester, chef, lunch-truck owner, or one of many other random professions.

All of this stuff seems to be becoming more and more of a problem as I approach the end of my college career. At this point in time, I'm heading to After College Pergatory.

1 comment:

  1. Could you fit in being my house husband for a small period of time?

    ReplyDelete